MaestroReviews

Deb and I are artists, painters actually. We go see films as often as once a week. That's right, we go to the theater and sit in a dark room with strangers to see movies. We rarely rent. We like "little" movies, foreign and documentary films. We try to stay away from mainstream and blockbusters whenever possible, but a couple sneak in each year. We seek out the obscure. We try to avoid violent movies, and that really limits our choices, most film makers seem to think violence makes a story interesting.
I try not to give anything away in the reviews, but offer an honest reaction.
We rate them 1~10, 10 being highest.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Deb 10    Me 10

Never heard of it, knew nothing about it, totally dug it. The worst part of it is the title, and it was based on a play with an even worse name. I don't know what to think about that, but its a great movie. In my zeal to not give anything away I often don't say anything about the actual movie (the sign of a great movie review), and I'll try not to spoil anything here. 
A couple years ago there was a slew of movies that starred children, this has a young lady as the central character who is absolutely beautiful, skin like a copper kettle. It reminds a bit of "Tree of Life", but a bit more focused, less ethereal. There were a couple metaphors here that didn't quite work, but incidental. 
There's a lot of hand held camera work, some weird focus situations and POV shots that gives you the feeling being there. I didn't feel like I was watching a movie as much as I was somehow involved with the action. There's no Hollywood names here but the acting is superior, like "Rabbit Proof Fence", you just feel like you're watching it unfold before your eyes. Good music, interesting people and a good story. But the story telling is what grabbed me, I was totally sucked in and each new unpredictable scene brought more interest. We were both blown away by this little sleeper.

spoiler: Until the end of the movie I wasn't sure where this thing took place, it was right here in an ignored part of our own backyard. Still, there was something uniquely American in their staunch independence, ability to create their own culture in an unfriendly environment and reliance on booze. It really felt like the old microcosm.

No comments:

Post a Comment