MaestroReviews

Deb and I are artists, painters actually. We go see films as often as once a week. That's right, we go to the theater and sit in a dark room with strangers to see movies. We rarely rent. We like "little" movies, foreign and documentary films. We try to stay away from mainstream and blockbusters whenever possible, but a couple sneak in each year. We seek out the obscure. We try to avoid violent movies, and that really limits our choices, most film makers seem to think violence makes a story interesting.
I try not to give anything away in the reviews, but offer an honest reaction.
We rate them 1~10, 10 being highest.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Magic Trip Movie Review


Deb 10 Me 10

So now I’ve seen this thing three times. I really like it. I’m sure there were some incredible obstacles for the filmmakers; if it comes out on DVD I hope they explore some of that. There are a few very well done recreations, which aren’t true to a documentarian’s spirit, but for entertainment value, they were welcome.

Everyone I’ve talked to who has seen the movie has really liked it too; even those who weren’t around in the 50s and 60s and know nothing about the scene or its role in modern history. For a lot of viewers it’s an interesting period travelogue. It offers human interest, some drama, some comedy and a bit of education all in a colorful entertaining package.

I just love seeing the footage. It’s something I’ve felt vicariously “part of” for decades and cherished every frame in this thing like it was my own history being relived. I’ve been told that people learn a lot more about me than movies by reading these “reviews” and this is a good example. There’s not a lot I can say about the movie without talking about myself or my experiences or lessons from my own explorations. I will say the film pretty much limits itself to the buttered side of the toast, there are a few gaffs presented here, but everybody smelled to high heaven and Neal had to drive you crazy after a while. This sort of romanticizes the expedition and that's fine with me. Magellan’s crew stank and had a few misfits too, but it doesn't diminish their accomplishments. Look for it. Watch it. Get on the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment