MaestroReviews

Deb and I are artists, painters actually. We go see films as often as once a week. That's right, we go to the theater and sit in a dark room with strangers to see movies. We rarely rent. We like "little" movies, foreign and documentary films. We try to stay away from mainstream and blockbusters whenever possible, but a couple sneak in each year. We seek out the obscure. We try to avoid violent movies, and that really limits our choices, most film makers seem to think violence makes a story interesting.
I try not to give anything away in the reviews, but offer an honest reaction.
We rate them 1~10, 10 being highest.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Concert

Deb 9 Me 9

I love that the title is subtitled “Le Concert”, never would’ve figured that one out on my own. There’s not a lot of press on this one, apparently a Russian film that takes place in Russia and Paris (though I think it was shot in Austria). It is subtitled and the Russian language is very pretty to listen to. I like when I don’t know the actors, (at least most of them; two I’ve seen before) don’t know where the story is going and can sit back and enjoy the ride. This ride takes you through some fabulous scenery, political dynamics, great personal stories and some killer music.

I really liked it. The movie takes place in today’s times and reflects on times about thirty years ago when Brezhnev was in power in Russia. It follows a historical thread that I was unaware of and was fascinating.

There wasn’t a bad point to find. Out of 120 minutes there was less than one minute of confusion or distracting weirdness. Name the category, acting, set design, location, story, this was solid. It was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment