MaestroReviews

Deb and I are artists, painters actually. We go see films as often as once a week. That's right, we go to the theater and sit in a dark room with strangers to see movies. We rarely rent. We like "little" movies, foreign and documentary films. We try to stay away from mainstream and blockbusters whenever possible, but a couple sneak in each year. We seek out the obscure. We try to avoid violent movies, and that really limits our choices, most film makers seem to think violence makes a story interesting.
I try not to give anything away in the reviews, but offer an honest reaction.
We rate them 1~10, 10 being highest.

Friday, March 8, 2013

Koch

Deb 7     Me 7

We live in Orange County California. I couldn't tell you much about a mayor in Los Angeles, let alone a mayor in New York. I guess that's why we went to see Koch, the three term Mayor of NYC from the late 70s through the late 80s. This is something I enjoy about a well done documentary, take a subject you know or care little about and teach you in a way that you now care about it. I have no affection for the mayor after seeing this well done film, but I have a better grip on NYC and some of the things it has gone through, continues to go through and things it has overcome. I felt like this was pretty even handed, not a poster for his triumphs, but showcased his detractors as much as his advocates and the entire populace in between. Sometimes he kicked ass, sometimes he blew chunks, but he seemed sincere in his decisions, good or bad. It was a neat movie to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment